Traveling across the country or around the world? The BlueCard Program* helps Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) members:
- Get needed health care when you travel or live outside your Blue Plan service area
- Get the same benefits as your BCBSIL plan when you travel or are away from home for an extended amount of time
- Find a doctor or hospital throughout the United States — more than 90% of all hospitals and doctors in the U.S. contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS)
- Find a doctor or hospital outside the U.S. in more than 200 countries around the world through BCBS GlobalTM Core
BlueCard coverage varies for each BCBS Plan. It depends on if you choose a provider who contracts with BCBS. Be sure to call Customer Service at the number listed on your member ID card before you travel.
If you are already a BCBSIL member, log in to Blue Access for MembersSM to find more information about BlueCard.
The Away From Home Care® Program
Access for Extended Stays (Temporarily Residing Away From Home)
BCBSIL members who have HMO plans may become guests of an affiliated HMO when they are away from home for at least 90 days. The Away From Home Care Program is ideal for members who:
Have a child attending school out of state
Have family members who live in different service areas
Have a long-term work assignment in another state
This program allows ongoing access to contracting hospitals and doctors.
If you are already a BCBSIL member, log in to Blue Access for Members to get more information about Away From Home Care. Call Customer Service at the number listed on your member ID card to find out where the program is available.
* The BlueCard Program is not available for Medicaid, Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part D plan members. HMO plan members can use the BlueCard Program only for emergency or urgent care when traveling or away from home for less than 90 days. Also, the Away From Home Care Program is not available for Medicaid plan members or for HMO plan members on the Blue Precision HMOSM Network and BlueCare DirectSM, in collaboration with Advocate Health Care, and Blue FocusCareSM.
This is only a brief description of some of the plan benefits. Not all benefits are offered by all Plans mentioned above. For more complete details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions, please refer to your certificate of coverage.