Specialty medications are those used to treat serious or chronic conditions. Examples include hepatitis C, hemophilia, cancer and multiple sclerosis. They
often require careful adherence to treatment plans, have special handling or storage needs, and may only be stocked by select pharmacies. See the
specialty pharmacy program member flier
for more information.
View the Specialty Pharmacy Program Drug List
which includes a reminder about coverage for self-administered specialty
A split fill program may apply to some specialty medications like select oral oncology (cancer) drugs. This program lets you try the medication first to
make sure you can tolerate any potential side effects. You will get a partial fill of your prescription and only pay for what was filled (a prorated cost of
Coverage benefits and requirements may vary based on your plan benefits. Call the number on your Member ID card if you have any questions.
To order through AllianceRx Walgreens Prime:
- For new prescriptions — Ask your doctor to call in your prescription to 1-877-627-6337 or e-prescribe your prescription to
AllianceRx Walgreens Prime . Your doctor can find e-prescribing information on their website.
- For existing prescriptions — You can request a transfer of your existing prescription for a specialty medication by calling 1-877-627-6337.
A specialty pharmacy coordinator will contact you to confirm you correct mailing address and arrange delivery of your covered medications.
When you purchase specialty medications through AllianceRx Walgreens Prime, you can have your self-administered specialty medications delivered directly to you, or to your doctor's office. You also receive at no additional charge:
- Support services for managing your drug therapy
- Educational materials about your particular condition
- Help with managing potential medication side effects
- 24/7/365 customer service phone access
BCBSIL members who use oral oncology or hemophilia specialty drugs may have other in-network specialty pharmacy options. Log in to your Blue Access for MembersSM account to find a preferred specialty pharmacy near you.