Special Enrollment – Moving

If you're moving, your address may not be the only thing changing. You may be able to change your health care coverage. That's because moving is a qualifying event.

You may qualify for special enrollment if you have had at least one day of health care coverage during the 60 days before your move and are:

  • Moving out of state, or
  • Moving to an area within your state, but your health insurance plan or network is not available

If either of these qualifying events apply to you, you have 60 days to change or enroll in a new health plan after moving.

If you've moved to a new state or a new area within your state where your health insurance plan or network isn't available, you can enroll in a new health plan through Special Enrollment

I don’t have health care coverage. How do I enroll?

If you don't have a health plan, you're in the right place! BCBSIL has many plans to choose from to fit your new family and budget. Let's get started.

I have a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) health plan. How do I add my new spouse to my plan?

What if I don’t qualify for special enrollment?

Depending on your income, you may qualify for Medicaid or CHIP. There is no special enrollment period for those government-offered coverage options – you can apply at any time.

Members of American Indian and Alaska Native tribes can enroll any month, not just during open enrollment. You can even apply for cost assistance.

Start Shopping Now

If you need health care coverage after marriage, take advantage of this qualifying event. You can enroll now during a special enrollment period. Start shopping to compare BCBSIL health plans and find the right one for you.

Start Shopping Now

Last Updated: Feb. 09, 2023