November 9, 2022
In October 2022, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) sent a letter to Illinois health care providers to increase awareness of COVID-19 treatment options. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) would like to share some reminders and resources, based on the communication from IDPH, as it pertains to providers whose patients include Blue Cross Community Health PlansSM (BCCHPSM) or Blue Cross Community MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Plan)SM members.
Outpatient Treatment Options
As outlined in this Side-by-Side Overview of Therapeutics Authorized or Approved for the Prevention of COVID-19 Infection or Treatment of Mild to Moderate COVID-19 on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration for Strategic Preparation and Response (ASPR) website, there are currently four available treatment options for mild to moderate COVID-19 illness for non-hospitalized people:
These COVID-19 treatment options can lower the chance of progression to severe illness, hospitalization, and death. When you’re talking with BCCHP and MMAI members about possible treatment options, you may wish to refer to this patient-friendly page on the ASPR website.
To determine if patients are eligible for treatment, IDPH continues to encourage providers to assess their patients quickly (within five days of symptom onset) after their patients have been identified as having COVID-19.
- Refer to the National Institutes of Health website for the most up-to-date COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines.
- For adult or pediatric patients ages 12 and older, see the ASPR site for a COVID-19 Outpatient Therapeutics Clinical Decision Aid (Note: Remdesivir is identified as the only outpatient treatment option for children under the age of 12.)
- See the ASPR site for instructional videos and other resources, such as this: Information Sheet - Paxlovid Eligibility and Effectiveness.
Submitting Therapeutic Orders
Prescriptions can be sent directly to federal pharmacy partners (Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Meijer), and several community pharmacies. To locate doses of COVID-19 treatments in your area, search by therapy and zip code using the Administration for Strategic Preparation and Response (ASPR) COVID-19 Therapeutics Locator.
If only a small number of doses is needed, you can use the IDPH Therapeutics Matchmaker.*
- All therapeutics orders are submitted using the Health Partner Order Portal (HPoP).
- Existing providers must access their account and select "create order."
- New providers can request to be set up in HPoP by filling out the New Provider Site Registration Form.
*Please note that IDPH doesn’t manage allocations for remdesivir, which is commercially available. As such, remdesivir cannot be requested through IDPH.
Third party brand names are the property of their respective owners.
The above material is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician. Physicians and other health care providers are encouraged to use their own best medical judgment based upon all available information and the condition of the patient in determining the best course of treatment. References to other third party sources or organizations are not a representation, warranty or endorsement of such organization.