January 25, 2022
A new specialty pharmacy service provider has been chosen by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) through our pharmacy benefit manager (PBM), Prime Therapeutics LLC (Prime).
As of Oct. 1, 2021, BCBSIL members, whose pharmacy benefits are administrated through Prime, now have Accredo® (a full-service specialty pharmacy) for related services.
This vendor change applies for BCBSIL non-HMO commercial group and retail plan members, as well as Medicaid members who have Blue Cross Community Health PlansSM (BCCHPSM) prescription drug benefits.
Please note: This pharmacy service is an added choice for:
- Medicaid members who have Blue Cross Community MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Plan)SM prescription drug benefits
- Medicare members
- HMO commercial group and retail plan members
Your patients may ask you to move their prescription(s) to the new specialty pharmacy service.
BCBSIL members should use an in-network specialty pharmacy to take full advantage of their pharmacy benefit coverage. Based on the member’s benefit plan, other in-network specialty pharmacies may be available. Specialty pharmacies used to supply specialty drugs covered under the medical benefit can still be used.
When renewing your patients’ current specialty drug prescriptions or when writing new prescriptions, you can send them to Accredo.
To get started:
- Visit Accredo's prescribers page for referral forms by therapy,
- ePrescribe to Accredo (eRx to NCPDP ID 4436920, 1640 Century Center Parkway, Memphis, TN 38134), or
- Call the pharmacy at 833-721-1619 for all BCBSIL members.
- Access to a team of 500 condition-specific pharmacists and more than 600 nurses with extensive training and experience.
- Staff support 24/7 at one of 15 Therapeutic Resource Centers® (TRCs), each focused on a specific specialty condition to help answer questions.
- Thorough one-on-one counseling, personal support and routine contact, your patients are encouraged to stick to their treatment regimens for the best results. Accredo may reach out to you at times to coordinate care.*
- The pharmacy has broad access to specialty drugs, including many with limited distribution, with no added cost for standard delivery.
- Accredo aims to provide a simple member experience, through a member’s preferred means of communication (phone call, email, texting, mobile app and/or online member website).
- Providers have varied support tools, such as physician concierge, e-prescribe, electronic prior authorization (ePA) and interoperability with electronic health records (EHRs).
- View status at Accredo’s prescriber portal , where you can:
- See patient referrals, refills and renewals
- Flag patients or prescriptions for follow-up
- Check on prior authorizations
- Track prescriptions as they’re processed and filled
- Visit their website for more information.
Please take this opportunity to update any pharmacy information that may be stored in your patients’ records. Also, if your patient had a current prior authorization approval on file, it will follow the standard BCBSIL process for renewals.
Members can call us at the number listed on their BCBSIL member ID card if they have any questions. If you have any questions, need further help or need to check a patient’s coverage, call us at the number on your patient’s ID card.
*Treatment decisions are between you and your patient.
Accredo is a specialty pharmacy that is contracted to provide services to members of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois. The relationship between Accredo and BCBSIL is that of independent contractors. Accredo is a trademark of Express Scripts Strategic Development, Inc.
Prime Therapeutics LLC is a separate pharmacy benefit management company contracted by BCBSIL to provide pharmacy benefit management and related other services. BCBSIL, as well as several independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans, has an ownership interest in Prime Therapeutics.
Pharmacy benefits and limits are subject to the terms set forth in the member’s certificate of coverage which may vary from the limits set forth above. For more complete details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions, members should refer to their certificate of coverage. Regardless of benefits, the final decision about any medication and pharmacy choice is between the member and their health care provider.