April 1, 2021
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is implementing changes related to emergent ground transportation billing for Blue Cross Community Health PlansSM (BCCHPSM) members.
The change is effective for dates of service on or after April 1, 2021, and only impacts claims submitted by Illinois Medicaid transportation providers for emergency ground ambulance services for our BCCHP members. This change is due to an Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) required change in administration of these services.
- Emergency ground ambulance claims for BCCHP members for dates of service on or after April 1, 2021, will no longer be processed or paid by BCBSIL.
- Effective for dates of service on or after April 1, 2021, claims for emergency ground ambulance services provided to BCCHP members must be billed directly to HFS.
- See the associated HFS Provider Notice, issued March 5, 2021, for additional details, including applicable procedure codes.
What’s not changing?
- This emergent transportation billing change doesn’t apply to Blue Cross Community MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Plan)SM (MMAI) member claims. BCBSIL will continue processing and paying for claims for emergency ground ambulance services for our MMAI members.
- There are no changes to the billing requirements for non-emergency transportation services or processes as a result of this change. Refer to the appropriate Provider Manual for non-emergency transportation information for BCCHP and MMAI members.
If you have any questions, call Customer Service at 855-653-8126 or contact your assigned Provider Network Consultant.