June 22, 2020
During the COVID-19 public health emergency, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has adjusted certain payments to Medicare providers. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is applying these temporary adjustments to claims reimbursements, as appropriate and where consistent with network contracts, for Medicare Advantage and Medicare-Medicaid Alignment Initiative (MMAI) providers. This includes providers who provide care and services to our members with any of the following plans:
- Blue Cross Medicare Advantage (HMO)SM
- Blue Cross Medicare Advantage (PPO)SM
- Blue Cross Medicare Advantage (HMO-POS)SM
- Blue Cross Group Medicare Advantage (PPO)SM
- Blue Cross Group Medicare Advantage Open Access (PPO)SM
- Blue Cross Community MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Plan)SM
Diagnosis Related Group (DRG) Add-on Payment
For discharges of Medicare Advantage and MMAI members diagnosed with COVID-19, the weight of the assigned DRG has temporarily increased 20 percent. Providers should use the appropriate diagnosis code and date of discharge to identify members:
- B97.29 (Other coronavirus as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere) is for discharges occurring on or after Jan. 27, 2020, and on or before March 31, 2020.
- U07.1 (COVID-19) is for discharges occurring on or after April 1, 2020, through the emergency period.
Medicare Sequestration Suspended
The Medicare sequester has been suspended between May 1, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2020. During this time, BCBSIL is suspending the two percent sequestration reduction in Medicare claims payments. As noted above, this applies to Medicare providers who provide care and services to our Medicare Advantage and MMAI members.
Call the number on the BCBSIL member ID card.
Refer to the CMS website for Current Emergencies and News Alerts .