January 5, 2023
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is streamlining the prior authorization process to make it faster and easier for you to submit requests, with quicker approvals.
In November 2022, we launched BlueApprovR – a new tool for online submission of prior authorization requests for some behavioral health services for many of our commercial, non-HMO members. We’ll soon be expanding this tool to handle additional types of prior authorization requests for these members.
BlueApprovR is available via a single-sign-on process on Availity® Essentials. Registered Availity users have free, 24/7 access to BlueApprovR to:
- Get real-time prior authorization approvals for certain services
- Easily attach medical records
- Check approval status and view history
What’s new? Attend a Webinar To Learn More
If you attended a BlueApprovR webinar last month, you’ve already had a glimpse of how easy it is to navigate this new tool. If you missed the December training or you'd like to learn more about what’s new, please join us for a webinar in January or February 2023.
To sign up for a webinar, select a date and time from the list below. (Times listed are in Central Time.)
- Jan. 11, 2023 – 11 a.m. to noon
- Jan. 12, 2023 – 10 to 11 a.m.
- Jan. 18, 2023 – 11 a.m. to noon
- Jan. 19, 2023 – 10 to 11 a.m.
- Jan. 25, 2023 – 11 a.m. to noon
- Jan. 26, 2023 – 10 to 11 a.m.
- Feb. 1, 2023 – 11 a.m. to noon
- Feb. 2, 2023 – 10 to 11 a.m.
- Feb. 8, 2023 – 11 a.m. to noon
- Feb. 9, 2023 – 10 to 11 a.m.
You don't have to be a current Availity user to attend a webinar, but you must be registered with Availity to gain access to BlueApprovR. Not a registered user? Go to the Availity website to register online, at no cost. If you need help with Availity registration, call Availity Client Services at 800-282-4548.
For more information:
- See the user guide on our BlueApprovR page.
- Email our Provider Education Consultant Specialist team if you have any questions on accessing BlueApprovR, or if you need customized training.
- Continue to watch our Blue Review and News and Updates for future program announcements, resources and training opportunities.
Remember: Member benefits vary, based on the service being rendered and individual and group policy elections. Always check eligibility and benefits first through Availity or your preferred web vendor, prior to rendering services to BCBBSIL members. This step will confirm coverage and other important details, such as prior authorization requirements and utilization management vendors, if applicable.
Note: Currently, BlueApprovR isn’t available for prior authorization requests for government programs (Medicare Advantage or Illinois Medicaid) members. Please use your existing process for requesting prior authorization for these members.
Checking eligibility and/or benefit information and/or obtaining prior authorization is not a guarantee of payment. Benefits will be determined once a claim is received and will be based upon, among other things, the member’s eligibility and the terms of the member’s certificate of coverage, including, but not limited to, exclusions and limitations applicable on the date services were rendered. If you have any questions, call the number on the member's ID card.
Availity is a trademark of Availity, LLC, a separate company that operates a health information network to provide electronic information exchange services to medical professionals. Availity provides administrative services to BCBSIL. BCBSIL makes no endorsement, representations or warranties regarding any products or services provided by third party vendors and the products and services they offer.