March 6, 2023
We’ve expanded our specialty pharmacy network to include Christus Specialty Pharmacy, University Medical Center (UMC) and Red Chip. For our members with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) pharmacy coverage, these are new dispensing options for specialty medications covered under the pharmacy benefit.
- Christus Specialty Pharmacy – Added to oral oncology network; doesn’t ship to Illinois
- UMC – Added to oral oncology network; doesn’t offer shipping or delivery
- Red Chip – Added to hemophilia network; offers nationwide shipping
Oral Oncology Network Changes
Also new for 2023 is access to the IRX network, a clinically integrated program that allows members to receive their oral oncology and other select medications in their health care provider’s clinic or hospital pharmacy. The doctor and pharmacist are part of the same team and have direct communication.
- Effective March 12, 2023, Prime Therapeutics will transition its existing oral oncology network to the IRX network.
- Pharmacies currently participating in the oral oncology network have been notified of the change and asked to confirm participation in the IRX network.
- The transition will be seamless for members and there will be no disruption in care.
Finding a Specialty Pharmacy
An updated list of in-network specialty pharmacy vendors is posted on our Specialty Pharmacy Program page. Members can view the specialty pharmacy network list by logging into Blue Access for MembersSM or MyPrime.com.
Questions? To verify coverage, or for more information on your patient’s benefits, call the number on the member’s BCBSIL ID card.
BCBSIL contracts with Prime Therapeutics to provide pharmacy benefit management and related other services. BCBSIL, as well as several independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans, has an ownership interest in Prime Therapeutics. MyPrime.com is an online resource offered by Prime Therapeutics.
The relationship between BCBSIL and the specialty pharmacies is that of independent contractors.
The information mentioned here is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician. Members should refer to their certificate of coverage for more details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions. Regardless of benefits, the final decision about any medication is between the member and their health care provider.