Why do you need calcium?
- Your baby needs it to:
- Grow strong bones, teeth, nerves, heart and muscles
- Have a normal heart rhythm
- Avoid blood clotting
- If you don't get the right amount of calcium you could lose it from your bones
How much calcium do I need?
- Pregnant and nursing women need at least 1,000 milligrams (mg) of calcium a day
- Pregnant women under the age of 18 need 1,300 mg a day
Foods with calcium
- Dairy products (yogurt is good with 415 mg per eight-ounce serving)
- Tofu products
- Some greens (turnip greens and kale)
- Canned salmon
- Some foods have calcium added to them, such as vegetable juice, orange juice, soy milk, some cereals, cereal bars and frozen waffles
[references] Copyright © 2010 LimeHealth