Shopping for Health care coverage?
Join our mailing list to receive helpful information.
Your information has been received.
Your information could not be received.
Health Insurance Is Affordable
The passing of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) made it easier to get affordable health insurance coverage. This is especially true for those who may not have been able to afford or qualify for health insurance in the past. And now, shopping for health insurance has never been simpler. You can get coverage several ways, including through:
- Your employer
- An insurance agent
- An insurance company
- The Health Insurance Marketplace
- Government programs like Medicare or Medicaid (qualified participants only)
Learn more about health care costs
Most U.S. residents must have insurance or pay a fine. For those who can't afford health insurance there are a few options to get help paying for health care costs, including:
- Cost sharing assistance — Assistance comes in the form of a discount that decreases the amount you pay for your deductible, coinsurance and copayments.
- Premium tax credit — This credit lowers the premium you pay every month. Use our premium tax credit estimator to see if you might be eligible.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois offers a variety of plans. Shop for health insurance and find out how to choose a health care plan that's right for you.
Need more information about our plans? Attend an event and chat with us in person.
Tips for More Affordable Health Insurance
Help decrease your health care costs and save money using the following easy tips:
- Choose the right plan. Our entire selection of health insurance plans bring you the same essential health benefits, and provides the same level of quality and care. The differences include how the benefit costs are applied. Learn more.
- Know your plan. Every health care plan is different. Take time to learn how it works, which providers you can go to and which services are covered. Learn more.
- Stay in your network. Most health plans like HMOs and PPOs, require you to use certain doctors, hospitals and other health care professionals. Stay in your network when possible to help avoid paying more. Register or log in to Blue Access for MembersSM, our secure member website, for a personalized search experience based on your health plan and network.
- Understand your prescriptions benefits. Know the details of your prescription drug coverage plan. Sometimes going to certain pharmacies or using mail order pharmacy services can help you save money. In addition, always ask your doctor or pharmacist if there's a generic version of your medicine available. Learn more.
- Use your member perks. Some health insurance plans offer discounts on gym memberships and vision services. In addition, they might offer special incentive programs to help you quit smoking, lose weight, exercise and more.
- Stay healthier. Do your best to eat right, exercise and get regular health screenings. Encourage all family members to live a healthier lifestyle too.