Member Cost-Sharing Waiver for COVID-19 Treatment Extended Until Dec. 31, 2020
Posted April 4, 2020 (Updated Oct. 12, 2020)
The accommodation to waive member cost-sharing for COVID-19 treatment was scheduled to end Oct. 23, 2020. As the pandemic continues, we’ve extended the accommodation until Dec. 31, 2020.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is waiving member cost-sharing, including deductibles, copayments and coinsurance related to treatment for COVID-19. The waiver applies to costs associated with COVID-19 treatment at in-network facilities and treatment for out-of-network emergencies.
Which members are included?
The new policy applies to all fully-insured PPO, Blue Choice PPOSM and HMO members, as well as Blue Cross Community Health PlansSM (BCCHPSM), Blue Cross Community MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Plan)SM and Medicare Advantage members. We will work with self-funded employer groups that decide to offer the same waivers.
How long will cost-sharing be waived?
The policy is effective for treatment received April 1, 2020, through Dec. 31, 2020. We will reassess this policy as circumstances warrant.
How to Submit COVID-19 Treatment Claims
Submit your claims for COVID-19 treatment of confirmed cases of COVID-19 using ICD-10 code U07.1.
What else is BCBSIL doing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Other changes announced by BCBSIL in the wake of the novel coronavirus pandemic include:
- Expanding access to telehealth coverage
- Waiving benefit preauthorization and members’ cost-sharing for testing to diagnose COVID-19
- Lifting restrictions on early prescription fills
- Lifting cost-sharing for in-network, medically necessary services delivered via telemedicine
- Launching a dedicated COVID-19 website so members can easily access information and resources around COVID-19
- Opening a special-enrollment period for fully insured commercial group account customers