Government Programs: 835 ERA Files Displaying ‘0’ in the Check Number Field
Posted May 8, 2017
This notice pertains to providers receiving 835 Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) files from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) for the following government programs claims:
- Blue Cross Medicare Advantage (PPO)SM (MA PPO)
- Blue Cross Medicare Advantage (HMO)SM (MA HMO)
- Blue Cross Community MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Plan)SM
- Blue Cross Community Integrated Care Plan (ICP)SM
- Blue Cross Community Family Health PlanSM (FHP)
- Blue Cross Community Managed Long Term Supports and ServicesSM (MLTSS)
Some providers may receive, or have received, duplicate 835 ERA files for government programs claims that were originally processed in 2016 and correctly adjusted by BCBSIL in 2017. These duplicate 835 ERA files will have a different date and display a “0” in the TRN02 check number field. If you experience this situation, you should refer to the previously delivered BCBSIL 835 ERA where the claim was correctly adjusted to verify the claim payment and check number information.
Please share this notice with your software vendor, billing service and/or clearinghouse, if applicable.
We appreciate your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause your practice.