CHICAGO – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) announced today it is waiving member cost-sharing, including deductibles, copayments and coinsurance, related to treatment for COVID-19. The waiver applies to costs associated with COVID-19 treatment at in-network facilities and treatment for out-of-network emergencies.
The new policy applies to all BCBSIL fully insured group plan, individual and family plan, Medicare (excluding Part D plans), Medicare Supplement, and Medicaid members. BCBSIL will work in partnership with self-funded employer groups that decide to offer the same waivers. Our policy is effective for treatment received April 1 through May 31, 2020. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois will continue to reassess this policy as circumstances warrant.
“We want our members to have the security and the peace of mind that comes with knowing they have access to the health care coverage they need when they need it most,” said Steve Hamman, president of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois. “Our focus is on providing assistance to our members to help ease the burdens of those impacted by COVID-19 so they can focus on their health and well-being.”
Other changes announced by BCBSIL in response to COVID-19 during this public health emergency include:
- Expanding access to telehealth coverage;
- Waiving preauthorization and members’ cost-sharing for testing to diagnose COVID-19;
- Lifting restrictions on early prescription fills;
- Lifting cost-sharing for in-network medically necessary services delivered via telemedicine;
- Waiving prior authorization requirements for transfers to in-network, alternative post-acute facilities until April 30, 2020;
- Launching a dedicated COVID-19 educational website so members can easily access information and resources around COVID-19;
- Opening a special-enrollment period for fully insured commercial group account customers; and
- Launching the COVID-19 Collaborative Grant Fund to provide resources and support to those most impacted by the pandemic.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is committed to expanding access to quality, cost-effective health care to as many people as possible in Illinois. BCBSIL is dedicated to innovation and exploring, nurturing and activating future possibilities to make the health care system work better for our members and our communities.