CHICAGO — Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois announced today that it will award $3 million to community organizations in fiscal year 2024 — which begins July 1 — through its Blue ImpactSM grants. Interested not-for-profit organizations must submit a letter of interest before March 10.
“We’re renewing our commitment to addressing social determinants of health through our Blue Impact grants,” stated Tonita Cheatham, Executive Director, Community Relations and Communications, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois. “As we aim to tackle challenges such as economic instability, food insecurity and access to transportation or housing, we know we can be more effective through strong alliances with organizations throughout the state of Illinois. We look forward to building on last year’s grants and expanding our partnerships with community-focused nonprofits in 2023.”
The grant process addresses social determinants of health, with a focus on five areas that can have a measurable, positive impact on the health and wellness of the population:
- Economic Opportunity and Stability: Addressing issues such as poverty, removing barriers to employment, providing good jobs and upskilling.
- Nutrition: Supporting efforts to decrease hunger and increase access to nutritious food.
- Neighborhood and Built Environment: Focusing on affordable healthy housing, access to transportation and access to physical activity.
- Locally Defined Health Solutions: Addressing hyperlocal health and human service needs.
- Optimal Health Outcomes: Helping close gaps in care, specifically around six priority areas: immunizations, diabetes care, cardiovascular care, behavioral health, early detection cancer screening and maternal and infant health.
Organizations can read the letter of interest at this link: Grants & Sponsorships. Invited organizations that have submitted their letters by the deadline will be given instructions and a grant application to complete.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois is the largest health insurer in Illinois, serving 8.8 million members and operating in all 102 Illinois counties. In 2022, J.D. Power named BCBSIL #1 in Member Satisfaction among Commercial Health Plans in the Illinois/Indiana Region. BCBSIL is a division of Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.