BCBSIL Response Concerning Flooding in Central and Southern Illinois
Central and southern Illinois have been facing severe flooding and more than a dozen counties have been declared disaster areas. In response, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) has donated $5,000 in relief funds to the American Red Cross Illinois Capital Area chapter.
Also, as a result of this recent disaster, the Illinois Department of Insurance (IDOI) issued a notice on Dec. 30, 2015, establishing a moratorium on cancellation of policies for non-payment of premiums for individuals who reside in areas of Illinois declared as disaster areas affected by this month's flooding. The moratorium impacts all fully insured lines of business.
Counties declared disaster areas include: Calhoun, Jackson, Jersey, Madison, Monroe, Randolph and St. Clair.
- Any non-payment cancellation on non-renewal notices issued to our members on or after Dec. 29, 2015, will be withdrawn, and affected policies will be reinstated with no lapse in coverage.
- No new non-payment cancellation notices will be issued to affected members until the moratorium expires on Feb. 29, 2016, or later based on a member's circumstance.
We encourage those who have questions about their health coverage to call the number on the back of their member ID card. We can help to clarify your benefits; find a doctor, hospital or dialysis center; refill prescription medications early; and ensure that we coordinate or transition your care appropriately. If you do not have your member ID cards on hand, here is how you can get in touch with us:
- Customer Service for all group plan policyholders: 800-541-2768
- Customer Service for individual/family policyholders: 800-538-8833
- Customer Service for Medicare Supplement policyholders: 800-624-1723
- National BlueCard® access: 800-810-BLUE (2583)
- For an emergency situation, you should go directly to the nearest hospital.
- For non-emergency care needs, you can call customer service to find a network provider.
- Bring your member ID card when going to the doctor or hospital.
- If you don't have your member ID card, call customer service or print a temporary card from Blue Access for MembersSM.
- BlueCard® participants (indicated by a suitcase on the member ID card) can call the National BlueCard access number to be routed to the appropriate customer service center.
The full DOI notice is located at the following web address: http://insurance2.illinois.gov/cb/2015/CB2015-13.pdf .
For the most current list of counties included in the disaster area designation, see ready.illinois.gov/ .