Enrollment Extended to Feb. 22 through Special Enrollment Period
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has approved a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) through February 22 for the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you were unable to get through the Marketplace application process over the weekend due to delays, you have until this date to enroll.
According to CMS, you may still be able to enroll if you:
- Currently are not enrolled in coverage through the Marketplace,
- Have not been terminated from coverage purchased through the Marketplace during the 2015 Open Enrollment period, and
- Were "in line" to enroll through the Marketplace. In other words, you attempted to enroll during the annual Open Enrollment period but did not complete the process because you either:
- experienced a technical issue with Healthcare.gov that prevented you from completing enrollment in time, or
- you waited on the phone for an extensive period of time on February 13, 14 or 15.
This SEP starts on February 16, 2015, and ends on February 22, 2015.
A notice on Healthcare.gov also says that you can still complete your enrollment if you mailed a paper application for Marketplace coverage by February 15. In this case, you will get a notice that you are still able to complete enrollment.
To continue enrollment with the Marketplace, log in to your account at Healthcare.gov . From there, select the Special Enrollment Period option to finish your application. You may also call the Marketplace at 1-800-318-2596 to complete enrollment over the phone.
Off-Marketplace Extended As Well
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is also extending enrollment through a Special Enrollment Period. If you don't qualify for financial assistance through the Marketplace, you can enroll directly with BCBSIL.
You have until 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 22 to complete your application directly with us. Select "Other Reason" in the Special Enrollment Period section to proceed with the application.
Paper Application Process
Paper applications sent directly to BCBSIL can also be submitted under the SEP. To be processed as an SEP application, the application must have the "Special Enrollment Period" option noted on the application. Applications received after February 18 without the SEP designation will be returned.
If you enroll during the Special Enrollment Period, your coverage will begin on March 1, 2015.