BlueCard is a national program that enables members of one Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) Plan to obtain health care services while traveling or living in another BCBS Plan’s service area. BlueCard links participating health care providers with the independent BCBS Plans across the country, and in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide, through a single electronic network for claims processing and reimbursement.
Covered Services Under BlueCard
- All inpatient, outpatient and professional services
Services Not Covered Under BlueCard
- Prescription Drugs
- Dental (non-surgical)
- Federal Employee Program (FEP)
1. Identify BlueCard Members - The main identifiers are:
- PPO in a suitcase logo, for eligible PPO members
- Empty suitcase logo, for Traditional, POS or HMO members
- An alpha prefix (the first three positions of the identification number)
- The alpha prefix correctly routes BlueCard claims for processing
Alpha Prefixes are assigned to every BCBS Plan and start with X, Y, Z, or Q:
- First Character – X, Y, Z or Q
- Second character – A-Z
- Third character – A-Z
National Account Alpha Prefixes:
- Begin with letters other than X,Y, Z or Q
- Typically relate to the name of the group, as in UAL for United Airlines.
2. Verify Eligibility and Benefits
Telephone: Call Blue Card Eligibility (800) 676-BLUE (2583). Enter only the alpha prefix on the member’s ID number and your call will be routed to the member’s home plan.
3. Obtain Pre-certification for BlueCard Members, when applicable
Telephone: Call BlueCard Eligibility (800) 676-2583 and ask to be transferred to the Medical Management Department.
4. Submit all BlueCard claims electronically to the Illinois Plan, for faster service.
Availity is a trademark of Availity, L.L.C., a separate company that operates a health information network to provide electronic information exchange services to medical professionals. Availity provides administrative services to BCBSIL. eCare is the registered trademark of Nebo Systems, a division of Passport Health Communications, Inc. (Passport/Nebo Systems offers the NDAS Online product to independently contracted BCBSIL providers). Passport/Nebo Systems is an independent third party vendor and is solely responsible for its products and services. BCBSIL makes no endorsement, representations or warranties regarding any products or services offered by third party vendors such as Availity and Passport/Nebo Systems. If you have any questions about the products or services offered by such vendors, you should contact the vendor(s) directly.