Specialty Pharmacy Program
This program helps deliver specialty medications directly to physicians or to members that include injectable and infused therapies used to treat complex medical conditions such as growth hormone deficiency, hepatitis C, immune deficiency, hemophilia, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Due to special storage requirements and high cost, injectable specialty medications may not be readily available at local pharmacies or routinely stocked by physicians' offices. To better meet your needs, BCBSIL has contracted with the following specialty pharmacies:
Coram's EyeOn IG Program is the preferred medical provider of Immune Globulin products and services. To contact Coram, call (888) 439-3661 or fax the Immunoglobulin Physician Referral Form to (800) 479-3477.
Coram is an independently contracted third party vendor and is solely responsible for its services and products.
Tap is a medical provider of Lupron Depot. To contact Tap, call (800) 859-0220.
The benefits of obtaining self-injectable specialty medications from these preferred specialty pharmacies include:
- Integrated coordination of coverage between the member, physician and BCBSIL
- No up front acquisition cost to physicians for non self administered/office based specialty medications
- Convenient delivery of medication to physician's office or member's address
- Injection supplies with every shipment, including alcohol swabs, needles and syringes
- Automatic coordination of refills
- Patient education materials and therapy starter kits from drug manufacturers
- 24-hour hotline staffed nurse and/or pharmacist to call with medication and injection questions
Note: Injectable coverage is based on the member's benefit. Prior Authorization or Predetermination approval still applies to specific medications that fall under clinical review.
Prime Specialty Pharmacy is both a medical and pharmacy provider for a wide variety of specialty medications, including Synagis and hemophilia medications.
- View the current list of managed specialty medications available through Prime Specialty Pharmacy.
- View Prime Specialty Pharmacy Drug Request Form.
To contact Prime Specialty Pharmacy, call 877-627-MEDS(6337) or fax the Prime Specialty Pharmacy injectable request order form to 877-828-3939.
Prime Therapeutics Specialty Pharmacy LLC (Prime Specialty Pharmacy) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Prime Therapeutics LLC, a pharmacy benefit management company. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois contracts with Prime Therapeutics to provide pharmacy benefit management, prescription home delivery and specialty pharmacy services. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, as well as several other independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans, has an ownership interest in Prime Therapeutics.