Medicare Part D Updates
BCBSIL offers Medicare Part D prescription drug plan coverage to eligible members. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) must review and approve every aspect of the program, including:
- How an insurance company sells its plans
- Benefits offered
- Premiums charged
- List of formulary drugs
- How plans communicate formulary drug changes to providers
CMS provides rigorous and proactive oversight of Medicare Part D, by conducting routine audits to ensure plans are compliant. In order to improve our communication to providers regarding regular changes to the Medicare Part D formulary, we publish monthly newsletter articles and post updates on this website addressing formulary changes as well as other Medicare Part D issues, such as drug interactions, manufacturer warnings and notifications.
Click on one of the topics below to view the latest information.
- Pharmacy Update: Acetaminophen (APAP) Overuse - April 2014
- Pharmacy Update: Why is Estrogen Replacement Therapy considered a Potentially High Risk Medication? - October 2013
- Pharmacy Update: Testosterone Therapy in the Elderly - August 2013
- Pharmacy Update: Second Quarter 2013 - August 2013
- Pharmacy Update: First Quarter 2013 - April 2013
- Pharmacy Update: FDA Issues New Dosing Recommendations for all zolpidem-containing Products - March 2013