Our automated preauthorization tool—AerialTM iExchange® (iExchange)—supports direct submission and provides online approval of benefits for inpatient admissions, as well as select outpatient, pharmacy and behavioral health services 24 hours a day, seven days a week – with the exception of every third Sunday of the month when the system will be unavailable from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (CT). iExchange is accessible to physicians, professional providers and facilities contracted with BCBSIL.
BCBSIL contracted providers who are registered with AvailityTM can submit electronic preauthorization requests for out-of-area Blue Plan members. For additional information refer to our Pre-Service Review for Out-of-Area Members tip sheet.
New User Setup
You will need a User ID, password and iExchange ID to gain access to the tool.
- If you are a new employee in an office that already uses iExchange, contact your office administrator for a new username.
- If your office is new to iExchange, you will need to set up an initial administrator account.
- To set up a new account, you must be a network physician, professional provider or facility within Illinois. If you meet the criteria, complete and submit the online enrollment form.
- You can access iExchange directly or through Availity .
New Account Management
Enrollment confirmation will be sent via email within 10 business days. The assigned User ID is for your office administrator who will also be able to create additional usernames for new staff members. The unique iExchange ID is your office account number—it is the same for all users in your office.
- You will receive a temporary password, which must be changed upon receipt.
- If you forget your password or it has been compromised, use the Forgot Password option on the iExchange Provider login page. Or, ask your office administrator to reset your password for you.
- If you are the iExchange office administrator and you need your password reset, complete and submit the iExchange Password Reset Form.
- All passwords must be changed every 30 days.
The Provider login can be added to your favorites. Transaction requests include inpatient admission requests and extensions, treatment searches, provider/member searches and select outpatient service requests and extensions.
- To search by member ID, key the member ID exactly as it appears on the ID card. Name and date of birth search options also are available.
- Required Data—All fields should be completed for each transaction unless marked “optional.” Short lists can be created by the administrative users for commonly used provider ID numbers, diagnoses and procedure codes.
- Adding Submitting Provider
- Behavioral Health Initial Visit Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) Request
- Inpatient Extension Request
- Inpatient Preauthorization Request
- Inpatient Predetermination Request
- Outpatient Extension Request
- Outpatient Pharmacy Preauthorization
- Outpatient Preauthorization Request
- Outpatient Predetermination Request
- Pre-Service Review for BCBSIL Members
- Pre-Service Review for Out-of-Area Members
- Treatment Search
- Treatment Update Search
Availity is a trademark of Availity, L.L.C., a separate company that operates a health information network to provide electronic information exchange services to medical professionals. Availity provides administrative services to BCBSIL. Aerial, iExchange and Medecision® are trademarks of Medecision, Inc., a separate company that offers collaborative health care management solutions for payers and providers. BCBSIL makes no endorsement, representations or warranties regarding any products or services offered by Availity or Medecision. The vendors are solely responsible for the products or services they offer. If you have any questions regarding any of the products or services they offer, you should contact the vendor(s) directly.
Please note that verification of eligibility and benefits information, and/or the fact that any pre-service review has been conducted, is not a guarantee of payment. Benefits will be determined once a claim is received and will be based upon, among other things, the member’s eligibility and the terms of the member’s certificate of coverage applicable on the date services were rendered.