Blue Directions: A Private Exchange Solution
Blue Directions for Large Business
Private exchanges are a new way for your clients to offer group health plans to their employees. A private exchange is an online marketplace that lets employees shop for affordable health insurance plans. Blue Directions is our private exchange for Illinois employers with 51 or more employees.
Expanding Employee Choices
Unlike the federal and state health insurance exchanges, Blue Directions is run by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL). When your clients send their employees to the Blue Directions website for group plan enrollment, they'll:
- Compare up to five BCBSIL plans that your group client selected
- Use educational and decision support tools to get personal plan suggestions
- Sign up for a BCBSIL plan
Using our private exchange means your client's workplace will get more BCBSIL plan choices and they'll control their costs. See how your group clients can save time and expenses with Blue Directions:
Using Blue Directions
Blue Directions is easy for both your clients - and their employees - to use:
- Using our defined contribution model, your client will set a monthly, fixed dollar amount that they'll give each employee for their health care coverage.
- They'll select a BCBSIL plan package that can include PPO, HMO and high-deductible HSA plans.
- Their employees will visit the Blue Directions website and choose - with the help of our decision making tools - a BCBSIL plan that fits their budget.
- Your client's fixed premium contribution is applied to each employee's total cost so they only pay the difference each month.
With Blue Directions our:
- Account management team will be available to handle your client's administrative needs.
- Licensed, non-commissioned agents will be available to walk your client's employees through the whole enrollment process so they don't have to.
These BCBSIL agents are available to help employees Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. in all time zones.
Self and Fully-Insured Choices
Both self-insured and fully-insured private exchange choices are available.
Blue Directions for Small Business
Blue Directions for Small Business lets employees see available:
- Group health plan options
- Individual health insurance options
This allows them to decide whether or not they want to select coverage offered by their employer.
Visit us again for more details on our private exchange solution for groups with 1-50 employees.
Blue Directions for Individuals
Blue Directions also has a private exchange solution for individuals. This cost-free option is available in all states and may be of interest:
- To employees who aren't eligible for benefits (such as part-time or seasonal workers)
- As an alternative to COBRA coverage
- To retirees before they turn age 65
- To employees with family and friends who don't have access to affordable employer-sponsored health coverage
Change your health care benefits program to one that's simple and affordable.
Talk to your BCBSIL representative for details about our private exchange.