Advantages of Membership
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois is the largest and most experienced health care insurance company in the state. We provide coverage to more than 7.3 million members. Why do so many Illinoisans choose us? Here’s what sets us apart:
- Member Voice — Listen to our members’ voices and see the Blue Cross and Blue Shield membership card at work.
- Largest Network — We have the largest PPO network in the state.
- Trusted Name — With more than 75 years of experience, we are the most recognizable and trusted name in the health care insurance industry.
- Member Services — Customer advocates provide unrivaled service.
- Web and Mobile Tools — Use our innovative web-based tools and apps to get the most from your health insurance plan.
It's simple really: a 2"x 3" card with rounded edges. Your name is on the front, along with codes and some other numbers to help us look up your benefits. The back of the card has phone numbers and websites to help you get the information you need, whenever you need it. All of this is pretty standard. Our card holds something more, though. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield in the left corner means that this card is anything but standard. There are high expectations that come with having this card, expectations that have been built over the years by earning your trust. There is something more, too. It's that special feeling that comes with having a Blue Cross and Blue Shield card. It's knowing that the people standing behind the Blue Cross and Blue Shield card will be here to guide you through times of change. We are different. We care. See for yourself.
Listen to our members’ voices and see the Blue Cross and Blue Shield membership card at work.
Non-paid testimonial of BCBSIL member. Not all products and services mentioned are available for all Plans. For more complete details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions, please refer to your certificate of coverage. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois is a Division of Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
When you choose a health care insurance plan from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, you get more options to meet your needs, like a wide choice of doctors, hospitals and health care facilities. Our members have access to the largest PPO network in the state of Illinois.
- 93% of the hospitals in Illinois
- 94% of the primary care physicians in Illinois
- 88% of Illinois specialists
- 94% of Illinois Non-MD/DOs
- Available in all 254 counties
National coverage is available when traveling or living outside home state in the U.S.
- Easy claims and administration
- Largest PPO network in the country
- More than 5,300 hospitals; 83% of all physicians
- Available in all 50 states, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico
International coverage is available while traveling outside the U.S. in over 200 countries.
Our Provider Finder tool helps you find a doctor, hospital or urgent care facility. You can also download the Provider Finder app for iPhone or Android, which lets you search using your phone's GPS system and allows you to save information to your mobile address book.
We are the most recognizable and trusted name in the health care insurance industry. We've been around for more than 75 years. People know us. We're here to stay.
When you've been around for that many years, you get to see a lot. Most importantly, you get to see generations of families grow to live healthy and inspired lives. And as a local company, nothing makes us more proud than to see our neighbors take with them the same peace of mind, security, confidence and trust that we've been providing for years.
*Source: Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
Unlike some of the national, publicly traded health insurance companies, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois is customer-owned.
- Our owners and customers are one and the same.
- We can focus on our members' health and wellness.
- Our long-term planning and investment strategies deliver more stability and consistency versus a quarterly report's bottom line.
We're a local company that believes that social responsibility is about being personal, dependable and accessible — so no matter which way life takes a turn, you can always turn to us. We know that it takes more than a one-time grant or service project to make a lasting difference in the community. We seek out, support, and partner with organizations that understand how to best meet the needs of their community and we help their programs succeed.
Health care in Illinois and across America is changing rapidly. What isn't changing is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois' dedication to "doing good" for the people we serve and the Illinois communities that we too, call home.
When you choose Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois for health care coverage, you get the trusted name you know will always be by your side. Satisfaction among our members is significantly higher than the competition in our key measures. Our members are also significantly more loyal to their health care insurance plan than members of our competitor's plans.
Member Satisfaction: Overall Rating, Plan Value and Service
Member Satisfaction: Likelihood to Recommend and Stay with Current Healthcare Insurance Plan
Source: 2012 Continuous Tracking Program, HCSC & DSS Research. All products.
A focus on our members' personal needs — rather than on transactions, sets us apart from other health care insurers. We empower our service staff to function as advocates for all of our members. Many health care insurers call service staff customer service representatives. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois service staff are called Customer Advocates. This is an important distinction. Customer Advocates take responsibility for helping our members navigate the health care insurance process, understand their benefits plan and take on much more than the traditional customer service representative. They truly serve as advocates to our members.
- Are evaluated based on call quality, not call volume
- Step outside the typical call parameters to assist members
- Provide guidance based on a member's personal situation and answer the "unasked" questions
- Help members understand, navigate and use health and wellness programs and online tools
Source: HCSC Internal, 2011.
Blue Access for MembersSM
Through Blue Access for Members (BAM), you can access health plan information, resources and tools.
- Review balances, claims status, benefits, coverage details and more.
- Order a replacement ID card or print a temporary card.
- View and print an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) for a claim.
- Search for and compare doctors, hospitals and dentists nearby using Provider Finder®.
- Use the Cost Estimator tool to research and estimate costs of services and treatments from doctors, hospitals and other facilities.
Blue Access MobileSM
Blue Access Mobile makes it convenient for you to access online information while on the go. You can log in to view coverage details, health and wellness information, check claim status and access ID card information. You can also sign up to receive text or email notifications, reminders and tips for:
- Claims Information — Get notified when a claim status changes.
- Exercise and Fitness — Receive weekly tips to help enhance your workouts.
- Prescription Drugs — Signup for reminders to check blood sugar, take a medication or a multivitamin.
- Diabetes Diet — Get weekly diet management tips to help stabilize insulin levels.
- Heart Healthy Diet and Basic Care Management — Receive weekly messages with heart healthy diet management and/or basic care tips.
- Tot Tracker — Stay on top of your child's milestones, upcoming vaccinations and growth measurements until age 3 with Tot Tracker. You can take photos, videos and audio of the most treasured moments and share them with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter.
- Duty Calls — A valuable tool for expectant fathers during their partner's pregnancy, Duty Calls helps to track a partner's contractions, count down to the big day, organize important activities and more.
- Provider Finder® – Our Provider Finder tool helps you find a doctor, hospital or urgent care facility. You can also download the Provider Finder app for iPhone, which lets you search using your phone's GPS and allows you to save information to your mobile address book.
- My Blue Community® – This online health and wellness community connects you with other Blues plan members from across the country who care as much about being healthy as you do. My Blue Community lets you share wellness information, tips and stories, and talk about ways to live healthier.
- eCards for HealthSM – Our free online greeting card website is designed to encourage people to commit to small, healthy behavior changes and share their commitments with those they care about.
- Be Smart. Be Well.® – This wellness website features topics such as childhood obesity, high-risk pregnancy and drug safety. Videos include information from subject-matter experts. You can also hear personal stories of those who have been affected.
This is only a brief description of some of the plan benefits. Not all benefits are offered by all Plans mentioned above. For more complete details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions, please refer to your certificate of coverage.