Enjoy summer's bounty of fresh vegetables
The arrival of summer means it's easier than ever to find seasonal fresh vegetables at supermarkets or farmers markets. Test your knowledge about veggies by taking our quiz below, then consider adding a vegetarian entrée or two to your menu on a regular basis. Need ideas? Try Summer Vegetable Spaghetti (recipe below) or visit Fruits and Veggies Matter online . Vegetarian diets vary, but they're generally low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
1. Which of the following are people likely to have if they eat a lot of vegetables?
a. Reduced stroke risk
b. Reduced cancer risk
c. Reduced cardiovascular disease risk
d. All the above
2. Which of the following is true regarding the amount of vegetables most people should eat each day?
a. It's different for everyone
b. It depends on your age, gender, and level of physical activity
c. It depends on your health
d. It's the same for everyone
3. What amount of vegetables should most women eat each day?
a. 1/2 to 1 cup
b. 1 to 2 cups
c. 2 to 21/2 cups
d. 4 to 41/2 cups
4. What amount of vegetables should most men eat each day?
a. 1 to 2 cups
b. 21/2 to 3 cups
c. 4 to 41/2 cups
d. 5 cups or more
5. Why buy fresh vegetables when they're in season?
a. They cost less
b. They last longer
c. Their flavor is at its peak
d. A and C
6. What are some benefits of eating vegetables grown locally?
a. They may be fresher
b. They may have more nutrients
c. They may taste better
d. All the above
7. For optimum nutrition, you should serve vegetables with less of which of these?
c. Herbs and spices
d. A and B
8. What should you do to avoid food-borne illnesses?
a. Wash vegetables before cooking or eating them raw
b. Keep vegetables separate from raw meat, poultry, and seafood
c. Cook all vegetables before eating them
d. A and B
9. Which of the following is true regarding eating vegetables and your weight?
a. Eating more vegetables will cause you to gain weight
b. Eating more vegetables can help you lose weight
c. Eating fewer vegetables can help you lose weight
d. Vegetables have no effect on your weight
10. Which of these is the best way to cook vegetables?
1. D — All the above.
2. B — It depends on your age, gender, and level of physical activity.
3. C — 2 to 21/2 cups. Most women 19 to 50 should eat 21/2 cups. Most women 51 and older should eat 2 cups.
4. B — 21/2 to 3 cups. Most men 19 to 50 should eat 3 cups. Most men 51 and older should eat 21/2 cups.
5. D — A and C.
6. D — All the above. It also supports local farmers and economy and can cut down on pollution caused by transporting food for longer distances.
7. D — A and B. Most prepared vegetables are high in sodium. Preparing fresh vegetables instead of buying canned or frozen vegetables with sauces can help cut down on sodium and fat.
8. D — A and B. Keep vegetables separate from raw meat, poultry, and seafood while shopping, preparing, and storing.
9. B — Eating more vegetables can help you lose weight. The water and fiber in vegetables adds volume to your meals so you can eat the same amount of food with fewer calories.
10. A — Steamed. The other techniques add fat and calories.