What to Do If You or a Family Member Gets Sick
- Stay home from school or work.
- Get lots of rest, drink plenty of liquids and avoid alcohol and tobacco.
- Do not give aspirin to children or teens.
- Use over-the-counter medicines to ease symptoms. Avoid using these medicines with children under 4 years old. Talk to your doctor about other choices for young children.
- If your child is younger than 5, or if he or she has a medical condition, call your doctor and get immediate medical attention. These children may be at a higher risk for serious complications from the flu.
- If symptoms get worse, call your doctor.
Remember to stay home for at least 24 hours until your fever is completely gone. The fever should go without having to take a fever-reducing medicine.