Questions to Ask When Choosing a Plan
Picking a health insurance plan doesn't have to be complicated. Part of making the best choice is knowing what questions to ask. Use this list to compare health insurance plans before make your decision.
- How much is the premium?
- Do you need to select a primary care physician (PCP)?
- Is your current doctor or hospital part of the plan's provider network?
- Do you need a written referral to see a specialist?
- How easy is it to change doctors?
- Is there a deductible?
- Is there coinsurance?
- Will you have a copayment?
- How does the plan handle visits to the emergency room?
- Are hospitalization and major medical expenses covered?
- Does the policy have visit limits for specific services?
- What is the policy's annual individual (or family) out-of-pocket expense limit? What costs are included vs. excluded in the out-of-pocket expense limit?
- Is there a waiting period before you're fully covered?
- Are there limitations to the policy such as pre-existing conditions?
- Do you need additional coverage, such as maternity, dental, vision or prescription drug coverage?
- Are you planning any major medical expenses for the following year (for example, having a baby)?
- What do your friends, family, and doctors say about the company you are considering?