Why is Health Insurance Important?
Even if you are usually in good health, you will need to use the health care system at some point in your life. You never know when an accident may happen or your family member will get sick and need to see a doctor. Health insurance provides you with an affordable way to get medical care when you need it.
It also protects you and your family from the high cost of health care. The cost of even routine care can quickly add up, but the cost of care for a major illness or injury can be devastating. At any age, and every level of personal health, health care costs should be something you take seriously. That is what health insurance is all about — covering the expenses that come with preventing illness and staying healthy, and being prepared for the worst that could happen.
Many people don't even think about health insurance until they need it. By doing some research and making good choices ahead of time, you can save time and money down the road.
Protect Your Future
You protect yourself and your family from financial losses when you purchase home or car insurance. The same goes for health insurance. And, what you may not realize is that a trip to the hospital can be much more costly than you might expect. Here are some facts:
- The average cost of a trip to the emergency room for an adult is about $700, not including any tests or hospitalization, which may increase the bill to well over $1,000.1
- A broken leg can cost up to $7,500.2
- Average expenses for childbirth are up to $8,800, and well over $10,000 for c-section delivery.1,3
- The total cost of a hip replacement can run a whopping $32,000.2
These examples sound scary, but the good news is that, with the right plan, you can protect yourself from most of these and other types of medical bills.
Get the Care You Need
The sad fact is that many people who do not have health insurance simply don't get the medical care they need. That's because they may be worried about the cost. It may also be because they don't have access to the best resources. One of the key benefits of health insurance is access to a large network of doctors and hospitals, as well as other handy resources to help you stay healthy. Other benefits of health insurance include:
- Being able to quickly and easily find the help you need close to home
- Peace of mind and less stress during a tough time because you know you're covered
- Access to affordable care and health information to keep you happy and healthy
Why health insurance? The bottom line is health is the most valuable asset of all. With a good health insurance plan, you help protect the health and financial future of you and your family for a lifetime. With the new opportunities to get insurance that you can afford, it doesn’t make sense to take a risk and go without insurance.