Blue Directions for Large Business
Private exchanges are a new way to offer group health care coverage to your employees. A private exchange is an online marketplace that lets employees shop for affordable health insurance plans. Blue Directions is our private exchange for Illinois employers with 51 or more employees.
Expanding Employee Choices
Unlike the federal and state health insurance exchanges, Blue Directions is run by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL). When you send your employees to the Blue Directions website, they'll:
- Compare up to five BCBSIL plans that you've chosen
- Use educational and decision support tools to get personal plan suggestions
- Sign up for a BCBSIL plan
Using our private exchange means your employees will get more BCBSIL plan choices and you'll control your costs. See how you'll save time and expenses with Blue Directions:
Using Blue Directions
Giving your workplace Blue Directions is easy:
- Using our defined contribution model, you'll set a monthly, fixed dollar amount that you'll give each employee for their health care coverage.
- You'll select a BCBSIL plan package that can include PPO, HMO and high-deductible HSA plans.
- Your employees will visit the Blue Directions website and choose - with the help of our decision making tools - a BCBSIL plan that fits their budget.
- Your fixed premium contribution is applied to each employee's total cost so they only pay the difference each month.
This video is a brief walk-through of the Blue Directions consumer portal. The consumer portal provides employees an online enrollment platform with decision support and an expanded benefit product shelf.
With Blue Directions our:
- Account management team will be available to handle your administrative needs.
- Licensed, non-commissioned agents will be available to walk your employees through the whole enrollment process so you don't have to.
These BCBSIL agents are available to help employees Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. in all time zones.
This video is a demonstration of the Blue Directions Manager Access Point (MAP) portal. Employer administrators leverage the MAP portal to manage their employee population.
Self and Fully-Insured Choices
Both self-insured and fully-insured private exchange choices are available.
Blue Directions for Small Business
Blue Directions for Small Business lets employees see available:
- Group health plan options
- Individual health insurance options
This allows them to decide whether or not they want to select coverage offered by their employer.
Visit us again for more details on our private exchange solution for groups with 1-50 employees.
Blue Directions for Individuals
Blue Directions also has a private exchange solution for individuals. This cost-free option is available in all states and may be of interest:
- To employees who aren't eligible for benefits (such as part-time or seasonal workers)
- As an alternative to COBRA coverage
- To retirees before they turn age 65
- To employees with family and friends who don't have access to affordable
employer-sponsored health coverage
Change your health care benefits program to one that's simple and affordable.
Talk to your BCBSIL representative for details about our private exchange.
If you have any questions about using BAE, check out the virtual Help Center (available on the BAE home page) or call the Internet Help Desk at 888-706-0583. We are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. CT.