BCBSIL’s three CareVan mobile clinics canvas the state, partnering with municipal and county health departments who offer services like free immunizations, dental sealants and lead screenings. Since 1990, BCBSIL has teamed up with the Chicago Department of Public Health to offer free immunizations onboard one van. More than 10,000 immunizations were given in 2009 and the CareVans also were used at a number of targeted events including:
- The Illinois State Fair in Springfield
- YMCA Healthy Kids Day in Mattoon
- Boone County Children's Health Fair in Belvidere
- National Infant Immunization Week in the Chicago Area.
- During the summer months in Chicago, the CareVan traveled to weekend health fairs every week. These fairs helped families prepare for back-to-school immunization requirements. Hosted by churches, block associations, shopping centers and aldermanic offices, these sites would not have been able to offer free immunizations without the CareVan partnership.
Check out the Chicago CareVan schedule .
Questions? Email Shelley_long@bcbsil.com, Public Affairs Coordinator.